Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Of being wELL mANNEREd and all...

Something is wrong...or so I imagine; Or is something the wrong with me...
I look at people around, experience stuff, and opine that good manners has become old fashioned and I have my reasons to claim so.

G had just secured a job, and he badly needed one...He was naturally happy...
My partner and I unexpectedly bump into him, and he takes us to Barista to celebrate...
J and B, his batchmates soon join us, listening to the good news...
Its Barista and 5 of us.

The 4 guys order 4 coffees and I order a chocolate temptation... (tried it did you?, you must...its a hot chocolate cake layered with hot chocolate syrup served alongside with a scoup of vanilla ice cream..., its chocolate temptation alright...)

We are waiting for our order, B. is busy at that time of the day..., and just then I see my lady friend outside, walking alongside with this another girl. My lady friend is not doing a single course this semester, and hence comes to the insti very rarely... and I confess I rather like her company. Naturally, I walk out to meet her, not wanting to miss this rare opportunity...

A little of this and a little of that... she is quite fond of me too... :). I speak to her for 10 mins, and soon she has to leave for home...

I go back into B, and I find that it’s been 5 minutes that our order has arrived, and... my Choco Temptation is clean... ;of course I don't have the mind to say anything... but I am naturally a little hurt...
J and B paste a stupid grin on my faces...and so does my partner... no apologies...
Of course, G offers me buy me another CT... and I accept.

I am pissed off none the less...

I don't like sharing?... no no... I am not Joey...
I do share...whenever wherever whatever...
I don't have any whims like, 'I don't share chocolate' and 'I don't share cigarettes' or any other m-fucking stupid thing like that...
The thing that bugs me, disturbs me is the fact, that have people become so emotionally hollow that they can't spare a bite for their friend who is just round the corner, to be back in 5 minutes...that too a bite of something which was rightfully his !! Had I been in the group, and any of them had gone out, and had it been his order… I would have asked the guys to spare him his share… (or so I think; of course .. it could also be the classic case where everyone thinks that he is the best behaved guy in town, and others should learn from him… but I am thinking that ‘smoking is injurious to health’ is always true, even it’s a smoker who says it…)

It’s a small thing... a very trivial thing... and these are the very things that matter...

I have a solitary experience in this direction...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It happened during our VMC days, when we used to be in 12th. This one time, Bade Bhayiya refused to take the class because nobody had prepared for the test (that was not supposed to happen...). Both my lady friend and I were from Noida, and her mother (or father) used to drop her to the class (a good 35km away from Noida). Little did her mother know that the class would end in a matter of half an hour, and naturally she went back... and hence it was too much to call her back to take her home. Our VMC bus was scheduled to leave in the evening, and it was a bright 2:30pm at that time.

I always traveled by bus, and naturally offered her to join me on the ride back home... she was apprehensive, but of course. However, the spirit of adventure soon overpowered her fears and she agreed to give DTC bus travel a try. 1 and half hour of constant chatting and we were in Noida. Her stop was just round the corner. A fair beautiful sophisticated looking skirted lady is a rare sight in a DTC. She walked up to the front door of the bus, and the bus slowed down around a bend and was almost about to stop when, she made a naive mistake. She jumped off the slow moving bus in the opposite direction - and fell...;it all happened too soon for me to do anything... I didn't have the foresight to inform her about jumping off busses in the moving direction...

Now quite naturally, I jumped off the bus too... to make sure that she was ok. She had scratched her knees, but only lightly...no blood...
We summoned a rickshaw, and she said that she would manage to go home from there...
She thanked me... of course...
You wouldn’t believe, her mom called home to personally thank me…
-----------------------------------------------------------

Its such a small incident... and I did so trivial little...merely jumped off at her stop... my stop was a mere 3 km away, and I took the next bus (after 5 mins) home... I might have wasted a total of 15 mins in the excecise.

This small act has made me a gentleman in her eyes for life. Just the last time I met her, outside Barista, she called me, 'my knight in shining armour'... wow... no one has ever said anything of that sort to me...ever...

I understand that no one needs preaching... but it’s just something I HAD to mention in my blog...

"Wake up dude...small acts make a huge difference"
I believe its small acts of kindness, trivial instances of goodnesses that make long lasting friends...

I think it time we all did a little self-introspection...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home